Thursday, October 11, 2007

Practically glowing warmth

I haven't given up on this blog. It's just that I've given up on doing anything that requires me to stay seated. Except for bicycling.

Some of you may be disappointed not to be getting a regular updates on my mileage counts. My dad mentioned it; perhaps others feel the same. This surprises me. So: I rode 19 miles on Monday and 17 on Tuesday, and today I biked to work and at the third mile or so I thought my index finger was going to freeze and fall off. The wind picked up and I was certain of it; but, surprise surprise, the wind had the opposite effect. Because it required me to pedal harder, I broke a sweat, and so my blood decided that it could share itself with more than the most crucial internal organs. By the time I got to work, my hands were practically glowing with warmth.

Anyway, the total should be about 19 miles again today.

The notable event of the week is that I got ticked off at my best friend this weekend and called him an asshole. My sponsor said this morning, "So, have you made amends to him yet for calling him an asshole?"

I said, "No, but I apologized."

She said, "You didn't say, 'I was wrong to call you an asshole and will change my behavior in the future. What can I do to make it up to you?'"

"No," I said.

"Hmmm," she said.

It was only about 6:20 in the morning when we were having this conversation (via phone), so the little antagonist inside of me was not -- how do they say this? "Fluid with the words?" But if it had been, it probably would have prompted me to say, "I thought we make amends to people we have harmed, and I really don't think I harmed him by calling him an asshole. I think I might have actually done him some good."

But I know what her response would have been, because my little antagonist always fails to antagonize her. She'd just say, "You pray about that for a few days."

No comments: