Thursday, February 21, 2008

The show must go on

Difficult day. Watched the lunar eclipse last night. The company was ideal. The moon was red. I could see Saturn and that star in Leo (what is it called, Regularis, or is that the trade name of a probiotic bacteria in an overpriced yogurt?) and these things were good.

But life does not always unfold as planned. That is, as I plan it. So I've been listening to Queen's "The Show Must Go On" over and over and over.

I should probably stop. Does the knowledge that Freddy Mercury was once sadder than I am today really help?

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I kept hearing in my head the line,
"Inside my heart is breaking;
my make-up may be flaking,
but my smile still stays on,"
and I felt hopeful because, in fact, my make-up was not flaking and, with blush and lipstick in place, I looked vibrant enough that, I believed (and believed correctly, it turns out), the receptionist would not say, "You look like you feel awful."

I feel as if I've really pulled a coup, because she makes that comment to people even when they feel perfectly fine. She believes herself to have an innate sense of when people feel sick and when they feel healthy. She told me so once. And I will let her keep believing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice text, and yes I think that you should let the recepcionist to continue thinking in that way. Life is so hard that many times those are the only things that sustain somebody that is watching people go and go and she stays there.

Ok. Perhaps no Freddy Mercury but there a line in a very popular Colombian Vallenato that is call "Los Caminos de la Vida" that says:

"Los caminos de la vida no son como yo pensaba, no son como imaginaba, no son como yo creia, los caminos de la vida son muy difiicl de hayarlos, dificil de caminarlos yo no encuentro la salida, ta, ta"...
I let the homework of translation to the reader. Ok if you cannot translate it, search for the song in ITunes and danc e it and sure you will dance. Salud.