Friday, June 6, 2008

German graves, tornado video, and the only hippie town in Louisiana

We spent the morning meandering around a cemetery. Here are some doors I saw on the way to and fro.


The cemetery revealed that there was an influx of Germanic residents to the area in the 1800s. As you can deduce from the markers, use of German by these families had pretty much died out by the end of the century.



On the way back to the B&B, there was another Germanic relic: a building called .

I took the requisite picture of one of the many bead-bedecked trees on the street outside the B&B.



Then we ate lunch at a place called The Grocery on 2854 St. Charles Ave. N had a Mufaletta panini and I had some panini without meat that was very good. I also had a brownie, which they said was made onsite. After eating C.R.A.P. at the trade show all week, I wasn't going to get it, but it looked really good. It was, indeed, amazing.

It was time to leave New Orleans to explore the great beyond. We went to Abita Springs to visit the UCM Museum Mystery House. We saw the curator pedaling off on his cruiser bike as we approached, so we knew we were in a good place.

The main exhibit hall features a mini town. Push the buttons and the people move. Here are some the scenes. As you can hear, I found them greatly amusing.

video

video

video

video

We played pinball and a crank organ. I fell in love with a gecko.

video

I never wanted to leave but, alas, visiting hours ended.

We checked into our big fancy B&B in Covington and then went to Fontainebleau State Park to take a walk before the sunset.



video















We came back for dinner after dark at Del Porto Ristorante. I forgot to bring my camera, so I have no evidence that I ate softshell crab, but I did. Okay, I ate about one leg's worth. It tasted good, but it was much too rich. N said that's how it's supposed to be. I guess the soft shell absorbs all the butter in the pan. So he ate the rest of the crab and I gorged on antipasti and lasagna. It's a hard life, I know.

After dinner, we took a stroll and concluded that we had serendipitously chosen to stay in the only hippie-artsy town in Louisiana.

No comments: