Monday, June 2, 2008

It is hard to be a fruitful observer of the weather when you are in windowless rooms for 12 hours a day

Here's the view from my hotel. I took this picture before going to a party in which my goal was to eat as many tapas featuring Wisconsin cheese as I could, without getting sick. I met my goal.

I am not a fan of pralines -- too sickly sweet for my taste -- but one of the appetizers at the party was little bit-sized pieces of praline topped with blue cheese and I was quite pleased with the result. I'm not generally a big fan of blue, either (preferring both my fungi and my cheese straight), but in this combination the praline and the blue cheese canceled out each other's bad traits so that only the good ones came through. (Like an ideal marriage, I suppose.)

It sprinkled during the party, but I did not witness it. I was heading out to the courtyard when a fellow partygoer said, "But it's raining!" I looked outside. There was no rain, but you could feel the residual dampness in the air. Nonetheless, the concrete ledge upon which we sat was dry.

This was the only time it rained while I was in Louisiana. N was stunned. He said it should rain almost every afternoon between 3 and 5 p.m. "Oh, like the Netherlands," I said. I wonder if they are having a drought, too. Perhaps all the rainwater in the world is being sucked into the Midwest.

ADVISORY: This entry is dated by when the events discussed occurred, not by when it was written (on June 12 & 13, 2008). This is so that all my pictures of Louisiana will appear in chronological order, and also so that I don't end up with an insufferably long blog entry, which is what would happen if I dated all the Louisiana stuff when I wrote it.

No comments: