Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Who's got the fever the the flavor of a Pringles?


When I was a child, my mother tried to explain to me that Pringles are not real potato chips, but I did not understand. After all, they were shaped like potato chips, and their flavor elicited the same indifferent response from the pleasure centers in my brain. (Cheese puffs, on the other hand, really pumped up my dopamine levels.)

Now, it turns out, even Pringles is trying to disassociate itself from potato chips. The brand recently won an exemption from Britain's value-added tax (VAT) of 17.5% that is added to potato chips. After all, Pringles argued, its products are just 42% potato, and that in the form of potato flour. The rest of it is "corn flour, wheat starch and rice flour together with fat and emulsifier, salt and seasoning."

Mmmm. Yum. Doesn't that give you the fever?

Photo by Alvin Chua, used under an attribution-only Creative Commons license.

No comments: