Thursday, August 7, 2008

ACT 6: Day 1

You can tell I'm not really a committed biker because I didn't haul my 40-pound backpack the 4 miles from my house to the ride starting point at 5:30 a.m. No, I threw it in N's truck, along with my bike. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

This is the Cooksville Store. It is the first and longest-lived convenience store in Wisconsin, more than 100 years old. It has no running water, so staff can't make food for you, but it has electricity and their fridges are brimming with Gatorade. Three years ago, I bought some secondhand glass Tupperware here during a training ride and strapped it to my bike for the rest of the journey. A couple of my ridemates found this endlessly amusing.
Dr. Evermore used to have a worshop next to the Cooksville Store. These rusty ratites are its remnants.
Perhaps the world's best stop sign is also in Cooksville.

What's with the serious look? When I am at stop signs, I'm totally focused on watching for breaks in traffic. Which is kind of funny, considering that we had a whole slew of crossing guards keeping an eye on this intersection for us. What can I say? Good habits are hard to break. (Oh, and the pallidness of my lips is not burgeoning stomach upset; it's super-zincky-titaniumy sun-blocking lip balm.)

With the brevity of this photo collection, one would think that the day ended in Cooksville, but we camped in Albany. See?:

But I was so excited about getting into camp before 3:30 p.m. that I neglected to take pictures. So you'll just have to trust me that Albany is beautiful.

No comments: