Monday, October 27, 2008

Cod: love 'em.

After reading that Atlantic cod have been endangered by overfishing, I started to feel bad about my daily dose of cod liver oil. I went to Community Pharmacy, which has a big-ass selection of fish oils, and found that you can also get fish oil from small and plentiful (for now) fish like sardines and mackerel, but all of it is in gelatin capsules -- not a liquid in capsules, which I prefer. I mean, do I really want to be ingesting a bone-marrow byproduct from cannibalistic cows? The USDA currently forbids processors to conduct broad-based routine tests for BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease), so it's hard to know if the bone marrow in a particular batch of gelatin is rife with BSE prions or not. Besides, I don't like the idea of eating factory-raised cows. Cruel and polluting.

Back to cod. Entrepreneurs in Norway are developing a way to farm cod. If this happens, would I have free license to suck all the cod livers I wanted, with no guilt? Would the quality of the livers be the same, given that farm-raised cod would have a different diet than wild cod? Would cod farms be as polluting as Chilean salmon farms? Should I just start eating six cans of sardines a day?

1 comment:

Dad said...

This post and the picture of you with the pressure canner remind me of your grandmother and her main harvest activity of preserving veggies and fruits. When we divied up her effects after she died your Uncle P took the pressure canner because he so closely identified her with it.