Sunday, October 26, 2008

The other California ballot measure

The New York Times had a well-written article this weekend about the strategy of Californiai's Proposition 2, which would ban battery crates for hens, veal crates for calves and gestation crates for sown in the state of California. Interesting tidbit: the guy who currently heads the Humane Society of the United States founded the Student Animal Rights Coalition, which I remember from my Sassy-reading days. Except that I associate it with a black-and-white photo of a pale white girl with straight dark hair and dark lipstick (which could describe me too at the time, come to think of it). I think she was a Sassiest Girl in America finalist. I know she was a vegan. And I guess she started a SARC chapter in her school, or expanded it from colleges into high schools, or something of the sort. It was obvious that she was artsy and serious and she probably listened to the Cure a lot. Because back then, if you were a teenage vegan, these things were required.

No comments: