Monday, April 13, 2009

A liveable Tyson's Corner?

One of my favorite things to during my high school years in Northern Virginia was to visit the wasteland known as Tyson's Corner. With two shopping malls and every big box store known to humankind except, perhaps, Walmart, it was a teenage paradise.

It's hard for me to imagine adults finding anything of interest there, since there were no residences, grocery stores or repair shops. Plenty of restaurants, though. And office buildings - although it seems to me that these were the kinds of workplaces where people ended up to their chagrin, not because they had landed their ideal jobs.

Now urban planners are trying to reincarnate Tyson's Corner as a livable, walkable city. (It feels strange to call Tyson's Corner a city or town; it was always just a place.)

Apparently, it is indeed changing. I just read in a Washington Post article that people actually walk to the new Harris Teeter grocery store in Tyson's Corner using sidewalks. This is very hard to imagine. In the Tyson's Corner of my youth, the only place you could walk was inside a store or mall or, if you were careful, from a store or mall to your car. But, apparently, some people now walk from one building to another in Tyson's Corner and live to tell the tale.

2 comments:

Jeff Wu said...

When you drive through the cloverleave getting off of 495 you can hardly recognize it. It now feels like LA or something. So many trees have been torn down. They're going to get that urban feel they're going for.

Kiapita said...

That's funny. I don't remember any trees being there, ever. Except for a few scattered here and there in the parking lots.

I do, however, remember many trees between my suburb and Tyson's Corner. Wolf Trap was sort of en route.