Friday, October 9, 2009

Thanks for your concern

I've had a migraine on and off since Wednesday morning, so did not go to work on Wednesday or Thursday. By the time this morning rolled around, I had decided to go to work, migraine or no. I mean, who's going to believe that you can have incapacitating head pain with no apparent cause for three days in a row? (Unless they, too, get those kinds of migraines.)

So I went to work and have been keeping the pain at bay with coffee and Tylenol. I was walking by a co-worker's* desk when she asked how I was doing and I told her, "Better than I felt yesterday, but I still have a bit of a headache."

Since this woman also gets migraines, one would expect her to have more sense than to do what she then did, which was to launch on a ten-minute excited monologue about the latest migraine miracle cure she read about on the internet. Being forced to stay standing while being exposed to agitated people is not the typical migraneur's idea of fun.

My co-worker kept waving her arms about and stepping closer and closer to me as she spoke to emphasize the break-through-iness of this news; for every step she took toward me, I took one back, but she didn't seem able to read the signal and just stepped forward again. I finally accepted the fact that I was cornered.

"Thanks for your concern," I said, "but the thing that would be most helpful for my current migraine is if you SHUT THE HELL UP."

Okay, I didn't actually say that.

*This is the same co-worker who hardly lets a day go by in winter without asking me, "Do you feel okay? You don't look so good."

No comments: